Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day in the life of an EGGS-treme IU fan



Ah, football season has returned. This is by far my favorite time of year to be a sports fan, and I love a good tailgate and crazy crowd of friends and family to watch the game with. Of course I have my favorite teams, but if the food and company is right, I will watch any football game!
I quickly discovered that the egg that has been sharing a roof with me for the last two weeks, is an EGGS-treme football fan. He doesn't just enjoy the sport, he partakes in a somewhat religious loyalty to the Indiana University athletic program. This worked out fine for our co-existence in my small apartment because I am a fan as well. However, when the first IU game day approached this past Saturday, the once quiet and polite young egg completely came out of his shell! I observed the diligent fan throughout the day and these were some of my discoveries.
8:00 am: Rise and shine. Unlike many of his friends who pre-partied the night before, this egg got a good night's sleep. He did not want to feel the least bit "scrambled" on the day of the big game.
8:30 am: Coffee and a full breakfast. He needed his energy.
9:00 am: The egg refilled his coffee and then spent the remainder of the morning hogging my computer, reading up on game-day predictions.
11:00 am: The egg asked me to paint him. At first I laughed because throughout the majority of his visit with me, the egg didn't seem to care in the slightest that he was completely nude. Apparently the rules change on game day, and the egg desired a big, red IU symbol to be painted on his chest.
noon: Let the tailgate begin! Of course, wanting to keep a clear head, the egg remained sober. I did seem him bong a beer with the guys, though. He mostly engaged in conversation with anyone that could stand up long enough to discuss starting line-ups or key football plays with him. As the afternoon progessed, the egg's energy hit an all time high, and he began to get more and more excited for his first opportunity to see IU play this year.
6:00 pm: With one hour and counting until kickoff, the egg headed to the stadium. I felt bad for the guy; most of his friends had passed out hours ago and didn't even notice his exit. He didn't care though. As he trudged across the Bloomington campus, his focus was on IU Memorial Stadium alone.
6:30 pm: I can't really report on the egg anymore at this point. He bought a solo ticket and didn't want to watch the game with anyone, including me! I was a little offended but tried to understand.
11:00 pm: The egg finally returns to me! He was fairly talkative; providing me with several highlights from the game. He then informed our still partying group that he was off to bed and would see us in the morning. And that was that.
I had to lovingly laugh at my little egg yesterday. I mean, come on, its INDIANA football. It's fun to be a fan, but to put in bluntly, we suck. I was impressed with the egg's dedication to the team, and he didn't seem to care one bit that it was Big 10 football and that his team will be lucky to win half their games this season. I doubt IU has many devoted fans like my little roommate, and I have to say, that his loyalty inspired me.

No comments: